MSI Study Trip to Hong Kong & Macao SAR, August 18-21, 2011
From August 18-21, 2011, the MSI program organized a study trip for the MSI students to Hong Kong & Macao SAR. The intent of the trip was to provide the students with a total learning experience. Hong Kong was chosen since it offers a significant range of cultural, entertainment and culinary experiences from the incredibly inexpensive hawkers stands to upscale restaurants. Hong Kong and Macau also provide an opportunity to understand a unique blend of cultures and the impact this reality has on service and experience delivery.
The trip had the following overall objectives.
• Provide an opportunity to understand the delivery of services and experiences within a different cultural, social, economic and political system.
• Understand the role that a particular social, economic and political system can play on the delivery of quality services in both the public as well as private sectors.
• Obtain an insight into the corporate approach taken in Hong Kong.
• Viewing different types of service and experience settings.
MSI students had great opportunities to learn from key stakeholders in service industry in Hong Kong and Macao SAR including:
• Dr. John Ap, School of Hotel and Tourism Management, Hong Kong Polytechnic University
• Mr.Chuck Sutyla, Director, Cultural Solutions
• Mr. Tom Mehrmann, Chief Executive, Ocean Park
• Mr. Harmen Dubbelaar, General Manager, Okura Hotel Macao SAR
• Dr. Joe Yong ZHOU, Faculty of International Tourism, Macau University of Science and Technology